help-mcsim

Re: [Help-mcsim] Emacs info again?

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: [Help-mcsim] Emacs info again?
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 08:19:27 -0700

tl;dr: I can create the info file, and it works, but install-info fails, and I think I found the issue.  In addition, xmcsim doesn't seem to get installed, and there eis no examples dir  in /usr/local/share/mcsim (but that may be correct).

Step 1: Yes, *info* is in /usr/share/info.

Step 2: I thought my mcsim/doc directory would be in /usr/local/share/, but that only contains mod and sim.  I  searched to see if it could be elsewhere, but it isn't:

/usr$ find . -name mcsim* -print
./local/share/mcsim

Is that a problem?  I had thought I might have directory entries there for doc, examples, and perhaps even xmcsim.

I still have the directory in my home directory where I built it, and I did run makeinfo mcsim.texi  yesterday in that doc directory.  Since the argument to makeinfo appears to be the input file and my doc directory contains mcsim.texi, I figured that was correct.  It created a mcsim.info file in that same directory.  I think that worked, because I can run `info mcsim` in that directory and get what looks like a valid info session.

Step 3: I did not know or at least remember the install-info command.  I should have tried the C-u C-h i trick, though; info works from there, too.

Running that command failed:

/usr/share/info# install-info mcsim.info .
install-info: .: empty file

Reading ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/texinfo-3.9/html_chapter/texinfo_23.html made it sound like the mcsim.info file needed @dircategory and @direntry, but I don't see them in the file.  Is that perhaps the issue?

One more issue: While I haven't used xmcsim much in the past, I tried it, and it doesn't seem to work:

/usr$ find . -name xmcsim -print
$ xmcsim
bash: xmcsim: command not found
/usr$

FYI, and thanks for your quick reply.  I /think/ I did the install according to the instructions, but feel free to point out mistakes I may have made.

Bill