Re: How to tell make to not try to remake source files?

From: Antonio Diaz Diaz
Subject: Re: How to tell make to not try to remake source files?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:42:13 +0100

Paul Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2024-01-27 at 20:00 +0100, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
In order to increase the efficiency of the build, I added empty
recipes to my makefiles to prevent 'make' from trying to remake
source files:

A simpler and more effective way to increase efficiency and reduce the
output of -d is to remove all the built-in rules.

Paul, thank you very much for your advice.

I have been running some tests and have found that 'MAKEFLAGS += -r' works also in GNU make 3.81. So I have added these two lines to the Makefile:

MAKEFLAGS += -r
.SUFFIXES :

The second one just in case someone uses an older version of GNU make.

BTW, these changes are (among others) for the Makefile of GNU ddrescue, where the original problem with the empty recipes was found.

Best regards,
Antonio.