Re: How can I get `make` to look at the mtime of a symlink?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How can I get `make` to look at the mtime of a symlink?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 08:59:06 -0400

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 21:43 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I need to update some files whenever a symlink changes, even if the new
> target of the symlink is an old file.
>
> How can I do that with GNU Make?

See:

       -L, --check-symlink-times
            Use the latest mtime between symlinks and target.

>From the manual:

    On systems that support symbolic links, this option causes make to
    consider the timestamps on any symbolic links in addition to the
    timestamp on the file referenced by those links. When this option is
    provided, the most recent timestamp among the file and the symbolic
    links is taken as the modification time for this target file.

Supported in GNU make 3.81 and above.

Cheers!