Re: Help converting a clearmake syntax over to gnu make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help converting a clearmake syntax over to gnu make
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:46:48 -0400

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 12:18 +0530, Balasubramanian S wrote:
> Hello Smith, clearmake file has the following

Please always send requests to the mailing list, not to me personally.
I am not always able to respond in a timely way.

> SPECIAL_OBJS += cfbgc32.o
> $(OBJ_SUBDIR)cfbgc32.o: cfbgc32.c
>         $(RM) $@
>          $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) -DPSZ=32 $(@F:.o=.c) -o $@

> To compile this it needs to use the DPSZ=32, hence it is treated as
> SPECIAL_OBJS; but other OBJS doesn't required this flag.
>

> I have tried changing SPECIAL_OBJS += cfbgc32.o  into SPECIAL_OBJS =
> cfbgc32.o and it failed to treat the cfbgc32.c as SPECIAL_OBJS, and
> the compilation failed.

GNU make supports the += operator so there's no need to change this (and
it will likely break things).

> I would like to convert this into gnu make, could you please help me
> on this.

There's nothing about the section above that looks odd or incorrect when
it comes to GNU make syntax.  So, if it's not doing what you expect then
the issue must be somewhere else in the makefile.