Re: hidden dependencies

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: hidden dependencies
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:52:17 +0200

On 21.01.2011 13:53, Krzysztof Cieniuch wrote:

But there
is caching and debugging mechanism that allows
to print generated rules instead of invoking them i.e. you may direct
build system so instead rule evaluating it prints them using $(info ).
How this done? Please explain more. '-n' option?

So it easy to verify if generated rules are correct or troubleshoot why
something doesn't work as expected.
Note this is different from -n switch since that debug output is fully
valid makefile with all the generated recipes.
It can be used to build project this is how caching works. The size of
cached makefile in project root is about 11M
and then even on T5440 it takes 20 seconds to parse that makefile
instead of 2.5 minute.

This is nice tips!

I think it would be worth to put some good ideas or best practices into
make manual instead of
chapter "5.7 Recursive Use of make" :-)

GNU Make manual is great but don't teach you how write Makefiles.

There are exist some GNU Make HOWTO. I learn GNU Make by
well known Russian howto:

  http://citforum.ru/operating_systems/gnumake/

Also interesting theme can be found at:

  http://mad-scientist.net/make/

And available for free

  http://oreilly.com/catalog/make3/book/index.csp

"Managing Projects with GNU Make", Third Edition
 By Robert Mecklenburg.

Also I found that this book updated by this person:

  http://wanderinghorse.net/computing/make/

--
С уважением, Александр Гавенко.