Re: Help copying & renaming filename inside makefile.

From: givemecode
Subject: Re: Help copying & renaming filename inside makefile.
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:41:26 -0800 (PST)

Paul Smith-20 wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 08:06 -0800, givemecode wrote:
>> Paul Smith-20 wrote:

>> > I replied to this yesterday.
>>
>> I know you did, but it didn't work and I though more explanation would
>> maybe
>> change the solution.
>
> No, I mean I replied to _THIS_, the "more explanation" that you wrote
> above.
>
> Actually your original question was simple to answer, but your extra
> explanation made clear that what you asked didn't have much to do with
> the real problem you have :-).
>
> What you've written here, as I said in my reply yesterday, doesn't make
> much sense as-is.  As I said then, no amount of variable manipulation in
> your makefile will help your _compiler_ find header files that don't
> exist.  If your compiler is including files named "foo.hh" and those
> files don't exist, then just adding those names to a variable in a
> makefile won't fix that problem.
>
> We need you go back up a number of steps and describe your environment
> and what you really want to do at a higher level.

So I have all these headers which I call *.h and they are of course in an
include directory. A co-worker created this little script inside the
makefile which switches the endianness of the bitfields which I put in the
headers, and renames them with *.hh and puts them in another directory. The
huge list of HEADER += a.h ... is the list of names of the new headers. That
list is used in two places in the makefile and and instead of using a list,
I want to use the names of the header files in my include directory. I need
some kind of for loop. I have never done anything this complicated in make.