Re: Customize dependency test

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Customize dependency test
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:09:40 +0300

On 27.07.2010 19:04, Peng Yu wrote:
Hi,

GNU Make use time stamp to determine whether target should be updated
or not. But SCons has some other way (say MD5) to determine if a
target should be updated. I don't see a way to customize GNU Make in
this aspect. But I may miss something. Could anybody confirm with me
if this is customizable?

As I know  GNU Make never use hash sum for files to update target.

You can look for OMake (experimental make-like tools):

  http://omake.metaprl.org/index.html

where also hashes used for make variable values, so if you change
its value all targets which rules use this var also rebuilt!

This can be useful for example if you test speed with different compiler
optimization switches as do not require full clean/build, only
obj files rebuilt.

This document describe OMake features:

  http://omake.metaprl.org/omake_papers.html

Alternative make projects with hashes state that build time a few
increased, but not significant.

--
С уважением, Александр Гавенко.