Re: Installing GNU make-3.81

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Installing GNU make-3.81
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:29:49 +0300

On 22.07.2010 23:45, Jeffrey Freeman wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me preface by saying this is my first venture into the GNU realm. I
am using MS Windows Vista, and while I'm trying to be a big kid, I may
need someone to hold my hand as I cross the street.

Ultimately, I would like to use GNU Octave with GNUPlot, and from what I
have read thus far, I need to install GNU make be able to do that. I
have downloaded and unpacked GNU make-3.81. Upon reading the README and
INSTALL files, I believe I am supposed to 'cd' to the directory
containing the source code, then proceed with:

.\configure
.\sh build.sh     (since this is my first 'make' program)
.\make check
.\make install
.\make clean

Why do you just not use Cygwin or MSYS/MinGW?

Here exists prebuild GNU Make and nice build environment.

--
С уважением, Александр Гавенко.