Re: The smart way to use make in a directory tree

From: Mike Shal
Subject: Re: The smart way to use make in a directory tree
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:23:34 -0400

On 7/16/10, David Boyce <address@hidden> wrote:
>  The above is some combination of accepted modern wisdom and my own
>  humble opinions. It may not matter at your scale, but doing things
>  this way makes parallel builds possible and incremental builds
>  reliable. The fatal flaw of the recursive model is that make never
>  knows all the facts at the same time.

Even with a non-recursive make, the incremental builds can only be
reliable if you are modifying existing files (or possibly adding new
files that the Makefile will wildcard). They aren't always reliable in
cases where you rename or remove files, modify the Makefiles
themselves, or forget to list certain dependencies.

-Mike