Re: Weird performance problem

From: Leandro Lucarella
Subject: Re: Weird performance problem
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:59:12 -0300

Paul Smith, el 14 de julio a las 14:37 me escribiste:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 15:01 -0300, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > The time was measured by several methods, including from inside the
> > program (option -v) and using strace to trace both the program and make,
> > and the difference are not because of make, the same program takes
> > longer to execute itself when ran from make. Also note that the program
> > without a change the change in the post runs equally fast inside and
> > outside make. I can understand a program having different performances
> > with and without a change, but I don't understand why is that difference
> > only showing when executed inside make (and the difference is so
> > reproducible and stable, even among different hardware).
>
> Also you can try ltrace which does library calls, not just system calls.

I think I've tried that, but the output was so long I couldn't make any
analysis from it. But maybe I should give it another try.

> I'm hard-pressed to think of any reason for this.

I'm falling back to use a script to run the tests, but it's really
annoying me not finding the reason for this :S

Thanks

In Minnesota there's a law
That prevents men from having sex with living fish