Why dependent on a specific C runtime version?

From: Lin George
Subject: Why dependent on a specific C runtime version?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 04:43:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

Why running a program on a specific platform (Linux), there are runtime errors
which mentions that specific LIBC runtime version is required (for example,
GLIBC_2.3.3).

I think C runtime should be compatible (means using one version of gcc to build
a program, it should be able to run on platform which contains another version
of gcc runtime). I am not sure whether this error is caused by some wrongly
used compile/link options (which binds this program to specific C runtime
version)?

thanks in advance,
George

Looking for earth-friendly autos?