Re: vpath and created directories (and the directory cache)

From: Paolo Gai
Subject: Re: vpath and created directories (and the directory cache)
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:49:01 +0100

Hi,

I have the same exact problem. In my case, the makefile have toi
generate some source code for configuration purposes. That source code
stays in a (newly) created directory, that cannoit be included in the
vpath.

Is there any workaround available?

Best Regards,

PJ

Berend Ozceri wrote in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-
make/2004-09/msg00002.html

It appears that make checks for the presence of a directory that's added
to the vpath list at the time the vpath directive is encountered and, if
the directory doesn't exist, omits it from the search path for the
specified pattern. As far as I can tell, this is a problem if
directories that are included in vpath directives are actually created
as a part of the build process, so they may not exist at the time the
Makefile is processed.

Evidence S.R.L. - Paolo Gai, CEO
http://www.evidence.eu.com   Tel: +39 050 883137  Fax: +39 050 883452