Re: How to compile Make Software

From: Der Herr Hofrat
Subject: Re: How to compile Make Software
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:57:33 +0200 (CEST)

> While trying to compile a Squid source code i downloaded from the internet,
> it required me to use a 'make' command.
> I downloaded the 'make' source code, unzipped and used tar command to extract
> it.
> Kindly educate me on how to compile the 'make' source code before use.
> I went through the online help but all i got were on how to use make (syntax)
> command.
> Kindly assist me cos I am really in a fix.

kindly read the top level README and INSTALL file if you want to install a
gnu package....

---README---
If you need to build GNU Make and have no other `make' program to use,
you can use the shell script `build.sh' instead.  To do this, first run
`configure' as described in INSTALL.  Then, instead of typing `make' to
build the program, type `sh build.sh'.  This should compile the program
in the current directory.  Then you will have a Make program that you can
use for `./make install', or whatever else.

hofrat