unix make to GNU make transition

From: Wendy Vanhonacker
Subject: unix make to GNU make transition
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:23:02 -0700

As we want our system to be easier to build on all platfomrs, we are
planing to install GNU make.
We use unix make right now.
Could you give us some hint about the differences between those two? Will
tthere be a lot of changes on our code?
I just tested on makefile. Here is the first problem,.

The old version has :
ALL:
!if a==b
do this
!else
do that
!endif

GNU make doesnt like the if statement with a !.
Since we have that all over our codes, is there a way to let it like that?

I was wondering if there wasn't a way to add some librraies or something
like that so that it still understands unix functions..
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Wendy Vanhonacker
Content Management Build Team