Re: What happens if make receives a signal?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: What happens if make receives a signal?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:35:23 -0400

%% "Herb W. Swan" <address@hidden> writes:

  hws> If GNU make receives a TERM signal, it deletes the current
  hws> target, but does it also pass some kind of signal to the program
  hws> currently running?

Yes.  When GNU make receives a SIGTERM it will catch it, then send a
SIGTERM to each of its children, then die.

  hws> I want to write my own program which orderly shuts down if
  hws> its parent make receives a TERM signal.  But what signal should
  hws> my program look for?

SIGTERM.

Also note that users pressing ^C generate a SIGINT, and following normal
UNIX conventions that signal will be passed to all processes in the
process group (make doesn't do anything about this; this is standard
UNIX behavior).