help-librejs

Re: [Help-librejs] label for JS license and/or other

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] label for JS license and/or other
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 23:09:26 +0300

Solucion Exacta <address@hidden> wrote:
>              the id tags of HTML has an objective and isn't set the license
> type.

Hmm...  Do I miss something?  Who recommends to use ‘id’ attribute to specify
the licence?  The only place where ‘id’ is significant for LibreJS is <table
id="jslicense-labels1">, is not it?  This usage is fully conformant with ‘id’
attribute purpose.

>              May be, the best mode of say which license is in use, is propose
> to W3C a new optional attribute tag for all HTML tags.

There actually already is a well supported (by Mozilla and Google) and widely
used technique to provide sources (and debugging symbols) for minified
javascripts and programs compiled to JS from other languages — so called
*‘source maps’*.  It’s specs says nothing about copyright terms, but (a) in
conjunction with licence headers in provided sources we have all required info,
(b) why not extend it?

Its first working implementations dates back to 2010—2011, so I have no idea,
why GNU LibreJS ignores its existence.