help-libidn

Re: OS X and "recipe for target 'libidn2.la' failed"

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: OS X and "recipe for target 'libidn2.la' failed"
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:42:00 +0200

On 10/16/2017 12:29 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:00 AM, Tim Rühsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 10/14/2017 12:46 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>> I'm trying to build Git on OS X 10.9. Git has a dependency on libidn2.
>>> libidn2 is failing as shown below.
>>>
>>> I suspect its due to AR being set to 'ar'; and not Apple's 'libtool'
>>> (distinct from Autool's libtool). For example, this is from one of my
>>> project's makefiles:
>>>
>>> ifneq ($(IS_DARWIN),0)
>>>   AR = libtool
>>>   ARFLAGS = -static -o
>>>   CXX ?= c++
>>> endif
>>>
>>> Usually its not enough to just set them, ARFLAGS option '-o' means the
>>> library name must immediately follow an $AR) $(ARFLAGS) sequence.
>>>
>>> I checked the mailing list but I did not see message(s) discussing
>>> similar errors.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a suggestion for the easiest path to build on OS X?
>>
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> we have an automatic build&test script for OSX on Travis-CI.
>>
>> We install the needed packages via homebrew.
>> For a recipe look into the .travis* files and use it as a starter.
>
> Ah, thanks.
>
> This is a PowerMac G5. Its big-endian PPC64. The Homebrew folks don't
> support PPC.
>
> I keep it around for testing PPC/PPC64, big-endian and Apple's GCC 4.01.

Puh, that is out of my scope :-)

But there might be people knowing how to set it up on the gnulib mailing
list [1]. Because your problem isn't libidn2-related, it's more of a
general toolchain setup question. Well, not even directly gnulib related
- but you might get an answer for a polite OT question.