help-libidn

Re: libidn2 support

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: libidn2 support
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:03:04 +0100

On Monday, December 5, 2016 10:00:32 AM CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Hi again.  I have added you now.  There is no real work going on with
> libidn2, but Hanno Böck said he may have found more
> security vulnerabilities, so it would be nice to be able to do a quick
> security release if needed.  Therefor, it appears preferrable to push
> your stuff to a branch meanwhile.  I'm happy to review when it is on a
> branch, and hopefully we can make test releases from the branch too.

Hi Simon,

just put my stuff into 4 different branches within your Gitlab repo.

Please review/merge in this order:

# branch 'fixes'
- fix two crashes in lookup and register functions
- avoid tainting insertname/lookupname on error
- use binary search instead of linear search in idna table

# branch 'unicode6.3.0' (based on 'fixes')
Basically does what it's name says, moves on to Unicode 6.3.0 from currently
5.2.0. Also does a few cleanups in the build area (Makefiles, URLs).

# branch 'tr46' (based on 'unicode 6.3.0')
Does what it says.
Adds more error codes, flags to the API and options to idn2.
Also uses the official test suite / test cases from Unicode.

# branch 'libunicode' (based on 'unicode6.3.0)
This single commit introduces dynamic usage of gnulib, introduces ./bootstrap
as proper bootstrapping mechanism, removes all the gl and src/gl stuff from
the repo. It links with libunistring with fallback to gnulib for functions
that do not exist (e.g. *joining*()).
Currently, the tests fail on Debian unstable since there is an buggy
libunistring0 0.9.3. Upgrading to libunistring2 (0.9.6) from experimental does
it for me. I am not sure how the status is with other distributions.

I am sure I missed to remove some autogenerated files from the repo and other
little things... so please (everybody here) test, review, comment, ...

Regards, Tim