help-libidn

libidn 1.22: sed commands on Solaris 11 too long

From: Mark Ashley
Subject: libidn 1.22: sed commands on Solaris 11 too long
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:50:06 +1000

Hey folks,

I'm compiling up libidn on a variety of Solaris revs at the moment.
This is my recipe:

CC=cc
CXX=CC
LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

    cd /var/tmp
    rm -rf /libidn libidn-1.22
    untgz /usr/local/src/gnu/libidn-1.22.tar.gz
    cd libidn-1.22
    mkdir /libidn
    ./configure --prefix=/libidn \
                --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local \
                --with-libintl-prefix=/usr/local
    gmake LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib LIBS=-lintl

The problem I'm seeing on my "SunOS lap 5.11 snv_134 i86pc i386 i86pc"
machine is the sed commands used in the Makefile.in are too long and
the sed is freezing up.
This happens for the gl/Makefile.in:unistd.h rule, the
lib/gltests/Makefile.in:unistd.h rule and the
lib/gltests/Makefile.in:wchar.h rule.

If I manually edit the long "sed -e" commands and halve each of them
into separate smaller "sed -e" commands similarly piped into the next
one, the same as the original Makefile code then the sed stream works
normally and the make continues to compile the libidn library
successfully. The OS shipped sed isn't happy with the length of the
"-e" commands it's asked to do. I've seen this behaviour on the three
rules mentioned above, but it'd be nice to preemptively shorted the
long sed commands in all the Makefiles to avoid this in the future.

This problem doesn't occur on Solaris 10 x86 or SPARC. All the
machines are using the vendor shipped /bin/sed.

Thanks
Mark
address@hidden