help-libidn

re-license to dual LGPLv3/GPLv2?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: re-license to dual LGPLv3/GPLv2?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:53:25 +0100

To align with GNU policies around library licensing (see [1]) I consider
to re-license GNU Libidn under a dual LGPLv3+ and GPLv2+ license.  The
purpose of this e-mail is to get feedback on what projects this could be
problematic for, if any.

One reason to not do this would be if there is some significant free
software project that uses a license that is incompatible with both the
LGPLv3 and the GPLv2 but are compatible with the LGPLv2+.  For example,
any LGPLv2-only project.  I've looked briefly at the reverse
dependencies of 'libidn11' in Debian and didn't find anything
immediately, but I haven't gone through them all (and definitely not all
indirect reverse dependencies).

The FSF maintains a list of GPL-incompatible licenses:
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html>.  However I guess that
several of these are compatible with the LGPLv3 so the list is not easy
to use.

/Simon

[1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Licensing-of-GNU-Packages