help-libidn

Re: DeNIC changed ß to a valid character for domainnames

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: DeNIC changed ß to a valid character for domainnames
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:54:11 +0200

Thomas Jacob <address@hidden> writes:

> @Simon:
>
> I work for an ISP as well have the same anyway, as far as
> I can see this particular issue can easily fixed by using different
> name prep / string prep profile.
>
> Could you give me a short hint to get me started about this? Is the
> name prep / string prep profile part of Libidn directly or part of
> some other library?

Libidn implements NamePrep/StringPrep, but IDNA2008 doesn't use
StringPrep at all so it is completely different.  I suspect the simplest
way for you to get IDNA2008 output meanwhile is just to do
pre/post-processing of the IDNA2003 outputs to deal with ß.  I suspect
DeNIC whitelists code points, so if you are lucky you only have to deal
with one corner case.

Implementing IDNA2008 isn't as simple as changing nameprep profile,
alas.

/Simon