help-libidn

Re: Support for IDNA 2008?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Support for IDNA 2008?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 01:43:23 +0200

Guido Winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to have libidn support the new IDNA 2008 standard?
>
> IDNA 2008 brings a number of changes compared to older versions of IDN. One
> change that is of particular interest to me is the new handling of the german
> "ß" (Esszett) character. In previous IDN standards, and in the current
> implementation of libidn, this character is simply substituted with "ss" and
> not punycode-encoded. In the new standard, it is treated like any other
> unicode character and thus encoded in punycode.
>
> The German domain name registry Denic has announced today that it will
> support
> new domains with the newly allowed Esszett - effective immediately, but
> subject to a sunrise period. This makes this a bit of an urgent issue; both
> the software used by registrars and that used by end-users will have to
> support IDNA 2008 as soon as possible.

Hi Guido.  I have planning to work on this for some time, but funding
haven't materialized so it has been difficult for me to prioritize it
over family and other paying assignments.  Maybe I could talk again with
people who expressed some interest in this in recent years...

If you (or someone else) want to help coding that would be great, I'm
thinking it should be based on the Unicode support in gnulib, which is
table driven and flexible.

/Simon