help-libidn

Re: win32 Visual Studio 2005 project for libidn 1.x

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: win32 Visual Studio 2005 project for libidn 1.x
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:13:15 +0200

Adam Strzelecki <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> During latest update of jabberd2 win32 support I discovered that
> libidn idna.h are not exported by Visual Studio at all, and latest
> jabberd2 uses those functions.
>
> So attaching the patch that:
> (1) adds LIBIDN_API to idna.h
> (2) removed IDN_DLL_VAR and adds LIBIDN_API directly to
> stringprep.h.in (I don't know why IDN_DLL_VAR was there if we found
> out that __declspec was causing MinGW problems)
> (3) removed LIBIDB_API patching from win32/include/gen-win32-
> headers.pl that is now just making win32/include/config.h file and
> replacing @PACKAGE_VERSION@

Hi Adam.

Thanks for this, now with gsasl out the door I have time to work on
libidn.

I'd prefer to do something similar to what we've done in gsasl.  As I
now have access to MSVS, I can do some tests myself, and will proceed
with making changes to libidn consistent with gsasl, and let you know
when I think it is done.

Is there anything in the gsasl approach you'd like to see improved?  If
not, I'll adopt it in libidn too.

Btw, there are more header files with no Win32 handling now: idn-free.h,
pr29.h, punycode.h, and tld.h.  Should these be handled the same way?
Even if jabberd2 doesn't needs them, someone else might, and maybe
jabberd2 may need them in the future.

Thanks,
/Simon