help-hurd

kernel troubles

From: mike burrell
Subject: kernel troubles
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:08:38 -0700

i just got around to installing H2 today.  i went through the install CD
until it told me to reboot (which i did), and then i did the
"./native-install ; reboot ; ./native-install ; reboot" dance until i got a
login prompt.  i got my /servers/socket/2 (theoretically) set up properly, and
after a bit of a fight with apt-get, got screen installed.  and all was good.
btw my setting up of /servers/socket/2 looked like:
        settrans -fg /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth1 -a 192.168.1.2 \
                -g 192.168.1.1 -m 255.255.255.0
(eth1 is my 3Com card: i figured i'd have better luck with it than my eth0 Via
Rhine card).

then i tried testing out the networking.  not so good.  a "ping 127.0.0.1"
yielded a:

Kernel General protection trap, eip 0x16ccce
kernel trap, type 13, code = 0
Dump of i386_saved_state 09888ad04:
 .
 . <register dump>
 .
trapno 13: General protection, error 00000000
panic: trap

and now whenever i reboot it does exactly the same thing when running inetd.  i
actually had the same troubles under my old install of Debian GNU/Hurd (G1) --
lock-up whenever working with networking -- but it didn't give me such a pretty
error message.  i've tried both Via Rhine and 3Com NIC's with the same result.
the cards work perfectly under Linux (obviously, if you're getting this
e-mail).
i played with G1 a bit, and found that if i took "inetd" out of the start-up
scripts, it at least let me log in without locking up, but as soon as i so much
as breathed wrong on /servers/socket, it went loopy again.

anyway, if i can do some sort of debugging to help out, i will, but i really
don't know what to do or what other information to give.  all i can tell is that
it seems to have something to do with networking.

any suggestions? :)

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                                mikpos@shaw.ca