Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: Unable to make guix master branch for over a week
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 16:20:30 +0200

On 2024-05-01 10:10:28 -0400, Peter Polidoro wrote:
> I have been unable to make the guix repository master branch without it
> failing due to errors for maybe a week or more.
>
> I am just curious if the repository occasionally gets into a broken state
> and I just need to wait until some set of commits fixes it eventually

Sometimes (rarely) it does happen.

> or if that means that something is wrong with the particular setup on my
> machine.
>
> I make the guix repository with the command:
> cd ~/guix && git checkout master && git clean -xdf && git checkout . && git
> pull && guix shell -D guix --pure -- sh -c "./bootstrap && ./configure
> --localstatedir=/var && make -j$(nproc)"

Could you perhaps share the error you got?

> I am running guix on x86_64 Debian stable as a foreign distro, but running
> guix shell --pure should keep me isolated well enough from the particulars of
> my machine correct?

Often yes, however sometimes there are issues due to your Guix being too old
(since the `shell -D guix' uses package versions from *your* Guix version, not
from the repository).  However this issue is also somewhat rare.

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.