Installer: GUIX_IMAGE as /dev/sda on some hardware?

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Installer: GUIX_IMAGE as /dev/sda on some hardware?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 11:04:22 +0200

Hello Guix!

I cannot reproduce this anymore since the machine I used is no more
under my physical control and is in production... anyway

I'm sure on a HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 the installer image (1.0.0
version) [1] listed the USB media as /dev/sda while I've always observed
(and reproducing now on a testing machine) that it's listed as **the
last** /dev/sd? device in the list

This is **very** important when installing grub, in fact grub
installation failed when instantiating my config.scm on the HP ProLiant
simply because it was on /dev/sda pointing to the USB media; I had to
manually install grub on /dev/sdb to complete the install

A couple of questions:

1. has anyone observed a similar issue?

2. what could have caused it?

3. how is the USB media "relocated" to the last /dev/sd? device by the
installer?

Happy hacking! Gio'.

[1] the only custom thing I made was adding "vga=791" and removing
"quiet" from the kernel arguments

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures