Re: Using an ntp service

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Using an ntp service
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 17:31:45 +0200

Hi Adam,

Adam Mazurkiewicz <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I expected that it would sync system time, but it did not. I have
> still been getting the time of my computer BIOS in a terminal, not the
> synced one.

If system clock is too late (or too far in the future) ntpd will not
update it

«Normally, ntpd exits if the offset exceeds the sanity limit, which is
1000 s by default. » [1]

Is this your case?

> Also in Xfce DE Clock. I have no idea how to debug it and
> fix.

To debug you should check "sudo tac /var/log/messages | grep ntpd |
less" messages

> Any help will be appreciated.

Set your clock (via date command or some GUI) and then "sudo hwclock
--systohc" to update your BIOS clock.

Last but not least: check your hardware clock setting are preserved
between reboots, if not you should change it's battery (if it's not
broken).

HTH! Gio'

[1] http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/ntpd.htm

--