Re: Help with preparing to move from Arch Linux to Guix

From: znavko
Subject: Re: Help with preparing to move from Arch Linux to Guix
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 06:06:10 +0000

Hello! While you haven't get the answer by some hackers I offer you to read
znavko's blog where links to manuals are collected:
http://live-znavko.pantheonsite.io (http://live-znavko.pantheonsite.io/)

The limitation of saving files into '/etc/' directory does not exist, as I
know. You may put your own files there, but only configuration files will be
modified there by running `guix system reconfigure confis.scm`.
Now I have there old files dhcpd.conf and sddm.conf from my previous
generations where I had these services. And even after removing those
generation and garbage collection they remain there. So, there are no such
limitation for '/etc/'.

Yes, Arch has awesome docs, I've been using it for configure touchpad tap for
slim configuration in Guix System's config.
Sometimes it is difficult to understand how to use strings and types in
config.scm, what is G-expression, why to use twice '(xorg-configuration
(xorg-configuration ...))' and other quirks.

All the configurations should be passed to your system config file config.scm
that is using in `guix system reconfigure config.scm`. All the services accept
configurations only from there. I think it is not proper way to edit those
files in '/etc/' after `guix system reconfigure ..`.

Cannot say about configs for samba, vpn, may be you'll get info reading package
definitions here
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/samba.scm
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/samba.scm)

znavko.