Re: Where is gtk-update-icon-cache ... ?

From: 荒井吉則
Subject: Re: Where is gtk-update-icon-cache ... ?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:51:13 +0900

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:00:05AM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi,
> 荒井吉則 <address@hidden> writes:
> > I found /gnu/store/...-gtk+-3.24.0-bin/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache. Also
> > found /gnu/store/...-glibc-2.28/bin/locale.
> >
> > Why not these command make symlink to ~/.guix-profile/bin ?
> There will be a lot of files in /gnu/store that are not linked to any
> profile.  That’s on purpose.
> If you want to install gtk-update-icon-cache you need to install the
> “gtk+:bin” package to a profile, e.g. by doing
>     guix package -i gtk+:bin

OK, I will do it.
However I think it is kind to ask will you install bin when someone install like gtk+ or glibc with guix package -i <some library package>.

> > And  I did gtk-update-icon-cache -t -f --include-image-data
> > ~/.guix-profile/share/icons/hicolor.
> > It return permission error that is directory read only.
> This is also by design.  ~/.guix-profile is read-only because it lives
> in /gnu/store (via a series of symlinks).  Nothing in /gnu/store can be
> changed; you can only add to it by using the “guix” commands.
> The is usually no need to run gtk-update-icon-cache manually as it is
> run in a profile hook when building a new generation of a profile.

Thank you for your explanation in detail.
I appriciate when I use guix package -i epiphany, guix would recommend additional packages hicolor-icon-theme and adwaita-icon-theme not installed.

And when install fonts, fc-cache is needed.

2019年1月11日(金) 14:00 Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden>:
Hi,

--
Ricardo