Re: How to see resulting config.scm as a plain text?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How to see resulting config.scm as a plain text?
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 15:55:39 +0100

Hello,

<address@hidden> skribis:

> Hello,Guix Help! I have a trouble in understanding what the result of
> compiled config.scm looks like.
>
> Is it possible to compile and examine my config.scm to see, for example, what
>  `(display %desktop-services)` returns or my own %my-services returns after
> my modifications?
>
>  I want be sure my changes are correct before I run system reconfiguration.
>
> I do not want to rebuild system when I only want to see if the use of
> 'remove' function on the %desktop-services is correct.
>
> I only want to examine the result as a plain text, displaying variables.

You can do that from the REPL:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build icecat -nd
/gnu/store/ycs0h5dgj2ijjnv0v9ijh8gc05my7hh7-icecat-60.3.0-gnu1.drv
address@hidden ~/src/guix/+core-updates$ guix repl
GNU Guile 2.2.4
Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guix-user)> ,use(gnu services desktop)
scheme@(guix-user)> %desktop-services
$1 = (#<<service> type: #<service-type slim 1728320> value:
#<<slim-configuration> slim: #<package address@hidden
gnu/packages/display-managers.scm:310 29c7000> allow-empty-passwords?: #t
auto-login)

Though overall, I think ‘guix system extension-graph’ and ‘guix system
shepherd-graph’ are better tools to understand what’s going on with a
system configuration:

  https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

If you use Emacs-Guix, you can also use ‘M-x guix-default-services’ for
instance.

HTH!

Ludo’.