Re: GuixSD system reconfigure error

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GuixSD system reconfigure error
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 22:54:17 +0200

Hi,

> I used initrd-modules and "shpchp", because back when I first installed
> the system, the example configure file had them. I don't think I really
> need the modules. So I tried removing it, but system seems to prevent me
> from doing that, by throwing the error:
>
>    <unknown location>: error: you may need these modules in the initrd
>    for /dev/sda2: shpchp
>
> It seems weired to me, in two ways:
>
> 1. why the system is preventing me from removing "shpchp" module? How
> does it relate to /dev/sda2 (which is my root partition in ext4)?

You may need to pass --skip-checks after removing the module.  By
default Guix tries to prevent you from accidentally installing an
unusable system.

The reason for the problem here is that the current kernel needs
“shpchp”, but the target kernel doesn’t.  We cannot know what the target
kernel needs before it is built.

This problem is currently being discussed here:

  http://issues.guix.info/issue/32524

In short: there’s nothing wrong with what you’re doing and Guix is a
little over-protective in this rare instance where a kernel module
ceases to exist with an upgrade of Linux.

--
Ricardo