Re: How do I define a package?

From: Luther Thompson
Subject: Re: How do I define a package?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 18:34:30 -0400

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 00:32:26 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> In your file, the last top-level expression
> is not a package, so `guix package --install-from-file=FILE` does
> nothing.
>
> Add this last line

> doses
>
> and you should be good to go!

Ok, got it. Seems kind of obvious now that you say it. Thanks.

My next issue is that it won't install. I see this in the middle of
the build output:

starting phase `install'
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: *** [/usr] /usr: Permission denied

As I understand it, every package has its own store directory, which
mirrors FHS, and all the package's files get installed there. I expect
Guix to install files to my package's store directory, but it looks
like it wants to install to the root filesystem instead. I might need
to add an `arguments` field to my package, but I'm not sure what to put
in it.

Also, my Sconscript has `env.Install('/usr/local/bin', 'doses')` for
its install target, which specifies the standard place to install files
in other OSes. Does scons-build-system assume some kind of different
usage, like maybe a relative path?

Luther