Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development

From: Kenny Ballou
Subject: Re: Guix and Emacs Integration for Polyglot Development
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 13:16:29 -0600

On 2018年08月02日 08:08 GMT, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Kenny Ballou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would like to be able to specify a project's dependencies in a
>> manifest file, add any environment variables as necessary, and have
>> Emacs be aware of those variables when entering that environment.
>
> It may not be what you're looking for, but projects like Haunt [1] put a
> guix.scm file in the root directory of their project.  The file contains
> a package as its top-level form (I think that's the right terminology),
> and you can get the dependencies via "guix environment -l guix.scm".

When I mentioned the "manifest" file, I wasn't aware it was common to
refer to this file as `guix.scm`, but yes, this is definitely the first
part.  However, to clarify, my question is regarding the second part:
how to get the `guix.scm` and any environment variables loaded as part
of `guix environment -l guix.scm` or `guix environment -m
project_manifest.scm`-- search paths and similar -- integrated into the
buffers local to the project directory?  I believe `.dir-locals.el` or
similar might actually be the right approach here, but I'm still in the
early stages of exploring this.

I hope that clarifies my question better.  For more reference, I'm also
thinking of wingo's blog on developing v8 with guix[1] (though I believe
`guix environment` wasn't yet available).

Again, if this is the wrong list, I can move this question to emacs-help
instead.

-Kenny

[1]: https://wingolog.org/archives/2015/08/04/developing-v8-with-guix