Re: Can't configure guix, no guile-sqlite3

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Can't configure guix, no guile-sqlite3
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 00:12:06 -0700

Hi Thorsten!

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

> On 17.06.2018 22:24, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>
>> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>> cd guix
>> *add package definition, commit right here, or maybe later*
>> guix environment guix
>> ./bootstrap
>> ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>> ./pre-inst-env guix package -i *new-package*
>>
>> configure fails with:
>> checking whether Guile-Sqlite3 is available and recent enough... no
>
> Since there was no solution, I completely removed guix (in particlar,
> rm'ed the store and stuff below /var) and started again with the
> 0.15.0 binary tarball.

That sucks.  I'm sorry you had to go through all that effort - and it
still didn't work!  I've definitely been there before.  :-(

> Back to main concern: configure now (after several guix pull) fails with:
> ---
> configure: error: Package requirements (sqlite3 >= 3.6.19) were not met:
> No package 'sqlite3' found
> ---

It sounds like you're saying this error occurs when you've run "guix
environment guix", and then you run "./configure --localstatedir=/var".
Is that right?

I would try the following things if you haven't already:

* Run "guix pull" at least twice - without using ./pre-inst-env.  It
  sounds like you've already done this.  The reason why I'd recommend
  running it twice is because in some cases (but not always), it might
  take more than one "guix pull" to fully upgrade your installed Guix
  from a sufficiently old version.

* Start from a clean slate.  Make sure you have a backup of the things
  you've changed in your repository, and then run this command to
  destroy everything and return the repository to a clean state
  (WARNING: this will destroy any changes you have left in the
  repository!!!):

      make distclean
      git clean -dfx
      git reset --hard

* Make sure you're using a recent Guix:

      git pull

* Now try to build again:

      ./bootstrap
      ./configure --localstatedir=/var
      make -j
      ./pre-inst-env guix --version

* Assuming it works, re-introduce your changes, and try installing the
  new package again.

FWIW, you might also consider trying to develop your packages by putting
the package definitions on your own GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (see "Package
Modules" in the manual), rather than using ./pre-inst-env.
GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH is the recommended way for adding custom packages,
while ./pre-inst-env is technically an unsupported hack that is
primarily useful for developing Guix itself.

--
Chris