Re: MTP & Guix

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: MTP & Guix
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 03:31:40 -0700

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Pierre Neidhardt
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
>> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>>
>> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
>> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>>
>> I see Guix offers a few options:
>>
>> - jmtpgs
>> - gmtp
>> - libmtp
>>
>> What's your setup, people?

MTP works (sort of) for me on GNOME.  In the past, I know it also worked
on Xfce for me, too (I haven't tested that recently, though).  I use
Nautilus.  One very important caveat is that it does NOT work until
after I do the following things:

(1) Connect my phone to my computer with a USB cable.

(2) Enable the "file transfer" mode from the phone's UI.

(3) On the computer, press Control+Alt+F2 to switch to a virtual
terminal, and then press Control+Alt+F7 to switch back to my graphical
desktop.

I have no idea why (3) is necessary for me.  However, if I don't do (3),
then even though I see the phone listed in Nautilus' browsing window,
clicking on it has no effect.  Once I do (3), when I click on the phone
in Nautilus, it finally shows me the files and lets me transfer things.
It's a mystery to me.  In the past, I looked into this, but I was not
able to solve the mystery:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-12/msg01076.html

Hope that helps,

--