Re: Helm System Packages: New support for Guix

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Helm System Packages: New support for Guix
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 10:19:47 +0530

> Does it support the notion of non-root installs, per-user profiles, and
> arbitrary profiles for Guix?
>
> I’m asking because that’s a significant difference between Guix and the
> other supported package managers.  PackageKit, for instance, provides a
> package management abstraction that’s biased towards “traditional”
> package managers and is inadequate for Guix.

For now it works on the user default profile (non-root install).

That said, the abstraction is pretty minimal, so it's totally possible
to do anything we want on the Guix side.

Could you hint at some use cases and examples around arbitrary profiles?
I only use my default profile at the moment, so I'm not sure what to do there.

> You chose to interface with the command line.  I suppose this creates
> less friction for an initial install compared to using Geiser and the
> Scheme APIs of Guix, but that’s probably at the expense of expressive
> power and control (I really like the rich interface that guix.el is able
> to provide with this approach).

Absolutely.  I chose this approach so I could roll out a first prototype
in a few hours.  I'm not very familiar with the Guix API yet, but
eventually I'm thinking of re-using guix.el when that would be more
convenient.

Contributions are very welcome!

> Anyway, cool stuff!  Now you need to make a package for it.  :-)

Coming soon!

--
Pierre Neidhardt