Re: Instantiating the OS declaration after a small change

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Instantiating the OS declaration after a small change
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:26:00 +0200

Hello,

Arnaud B <address@hidden> skribis:

> Context :
> In the process of trying to build packages, through the use of guix
> environments, I need more space on my home partition.
> To do so, deleting former generations followed by 'guix gc' was not enough,
> and I need to move things to my external ntfs drive (please don't ask why I
> have to use that file system...).
> As I'm regularly going to mount it, I added a file-system declaration in my
> config.scm.

OK.

> Question :
> Do I have to apply 'guix system reconfigure', a lenghty process (on my
> computer at least) for such a small change, especially if I did not write
> it correctly, or is there another possibility ?  I actually just want to
> test that file system declaration.
> From 6.2.13 of the manual, I'm thinking about 'guix system build'. Or could
> I do it temporarily in another scm file ?

I have a similar use case: an external HDD that I plug in from time to
time.

What I do is declare it as not being automatically mounted on startup:

     (file-system
       (title 'uuid)
       (device (uuid "eeeeeeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeeeeeeeeeee"))
       (mount-point "/mnt/disk")
       (type "ext3")
       (mount? #f))

This adds an entry to /etc/fstab so when I plug it in, I can simply time
“sudo mount /mnt/disk”.

Now, if you use GNOME or similar, the udisks service and its friends are
support to automatically mount partitions from removable storage.

HTH,
Ludo’.