Re: How do I check out a package w/o installing it?

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: How do I check out a package w/o installing it?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:16:38 -0500

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 7:47 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> So 'guix package -i znc' implicitly adds man-db and info-reader.
>
> Maybe 'guix environment --add-hoc znc' should do that too?

Sorry, that's not quite right.  Running 'guix package -i znc' will
install znc and *nothing* else. Only by additionally installing man-db
to your profile will you have MANPATH configured properly.  'guix
package' and 'guix environment' are consistent with each other since
they both use the same underlying profile management code.

Hope this clears things up further,

- Dave