Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:04:38 +0000

Yup.  That's correct.  I am asking about how to modify

set root=(hd0,msdos1)    (I think this is the vfat system)

chainloader (${root})/efi/boot/name-of-efi-file.efi

boot

to something like

set root=(hd0,msdos1)    (I think this is the vfat system)

chainloader (${root})/efi/boot/name-of-efi-file.efi

linux (hd0,msdos1)/path/to/vm-linuz-libre    ?

boot

But thanks for reminding me about disabling modesetting.  If I can't boot the usbstick via modesetting, then I probably need to change my config to disable it as well.  Otherwise I'll successfully install guixSD and grub, but the boot process will fail when it tries to load the raedon driver.

Don't worry too much about trying to find a solution for me.  Worst case scenerio, I think that I can unstill grub.  Install systemd-boot again, modify the boot parameters via systemd-boot boot menu, boot guixSD from the usb stick.  Uninstall systemd-boot, install grub, and reboot and we should be golden....But If I can figure out how to just use grub properly, that'd be nicer. haha.  I think grub comes with a search command, but I haven't really figured out how to use it, and that search command may just be for finding the root filesystem.