Re: guixSD

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Re: guixSD
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 01:27:17 +0200

Job Hernandez <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, on the manual it says that the guixSD is not production ready. Im eager
> to start using this as my primary operating system-- when will it be
> production ready?

For completeness, this is what the manual states at chapter 6.1.1:

> the Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is not production-ready. It may
> contain bugs and lack important features.

I guess we have to wait for version 1.0 to be released so that GuixSD
can be called "stable". Personally, I don't know exactly when this is
expected to happen.

Anyway, GuixSD is already "usable". I personally even use it for
"production". And indeed it contains bugs sometimes and lacks important
features sometimes. But I can live with that.

If you want to find out if you can live with these issues, you could (1)
try out Guix package manager on top of another (so-called "foreign")
GNU+Linux distribution; (2) try out GuixSD inside a virtual machine; (3)
try GuixSD on a real computer.

Good luck :)

--
mekeor ~ EDD3 DFFA 76F6 11C0 145F 9A99 AC85 BAD8 A2F8 C868