Re: installing a mirror for offline installation

From: ng0
Subject: Re: installing a mirror for offline installation
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:05:39 +0000

Quiliro transcribed 1.8K bytes:
> El Thu, 25 May 2017 18:19:02 -0500
> Quiliro <address@hidden> escribió:
>
> > I finally could install bare-bones.scm GuixSD working machine. Now i am
> > interested in installing a mirror [of hydra] for offline installation.
> > There is no telecommunications where I live. So I could bring the server to
> > download substitutes and then take it back to my network for local
> > download. I was told that an nginx mirror of hydra would cache only
> > substitutes after they have been requested through it. Nevertheless, for
> > those that need that, here is the config:
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/nginx/mirror.conf
> >
> > Since that solution is not for offline use, please suggest what I should
> > do.
> >

> I would still want to test installing a hydra mirror. Is there a howto for
> this?

It's quiet bad that this low connectivity case, which is not that rare,
is not included. But we can work on it. In the meantime, you mentioned you
have one place with connectivity.
Could you create a mid-, short-, or long-distance mesh network with
it so that you reach it? Similar to what Freifunk with BATMAN does
and other international meshnetwork communities.

I think I know at least one more person (besides myself) who's
interested in solving problems like these.
--
ng0
OpenPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588