Re: Some questions regarding GuixSD

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Some questions regarding GuixSD
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:07:22 +0000

Hi,

I hope you don't mind if I add to this some lines.

> Hi,
>
> address@hidden skribis:
>
>> 1) Is there any way to prevent a package from being installed at all?
>
> Only packages that you want are “installed”, in the sense that only
> packages that you explicitly ask for are available in your user profile.
>
> The /gnu/store directory may contain other packages, but you don’t have
> to worry about that.
>
>> 2) Are multiple versions of a package in the tree at any given time?
>
> You can have multiple profiles, each containing a different version of a
> given package, for example.
>
> The source tree of Guix itself usually only contains the latest version
> of each package.  There are exceptions for packages where it makes sense
> to keep several stable series in parallel: GCC, Python, Guile, etc.
>
>> 3) Is there any way to install GuixSD from something other than the LiveUSB
>> image on the site?
>
> You can install Guix on top of your GNU/Linux system and run:
>
>   guix system init config.scm /
>
> Be careful: this is a one-way change!
>
>> 4) Is GnuNET integration already working?
>
> No.

It's a bit of a stretch (in time), but I've applied for funding
yesterday and one of the 3 ideas is to push gnunet integration further,
to aid the live-system I am working on. I say 'stretch' because this is
a topic which requires some preparing contributions and then lots of
testing and diving deeper into the core of Guix :)
So if all goes well, I know around december if I qualified with my idea
for funding and can almost worry-free hack on this for another 6
months.
It's like Google Summer of Code, only a bit longer. I'll very optimistic
and say that my internal documented goal for basic gnunet-filesystem
integration for guix is summer / autumn 2017.

--
               ng0
#.endofsubmission.