Re: Guix/GNU/Linux multi distro + GuixSD multi-site scenario

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Guix/GNU/Linux multi distro + GuixSD multi-site scenario
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 16:31:11 -0700

myglc2 writes:

> These are questions about a Guix user scenario I am contemplating.
>
> Situation:
>
> - I have installed Guix/Debian and GuixSD on a couple home servers
>   (behind a typical broadband router).
>
> - I am running Guix from a git checkout to which I have applied personal
>   patches.
>
> - TODO I talk my friendly sysadmins at a couple organizations into
>   installing Guix on /GNU/Linux distros, say ubuntu and centos.
>
> It seems obvious that Guix supports this scenario. But it is not so
> obvious what the best way to 'instantiate' it is ;)
>
> So I have a few questions:
>
> 1) What is a practical way to get the same identical versions of my
>    customized guix packages running on all the machines?

Running all machines, I dunno.  I do dual-boot Debian and GuixSD with
them sharing the same user profile and store.  On Debian, I bind-mount
some directories from GuixSD's root partition.  From /etc/fstab:

UUID=d9cc11f0-e548-4526-a541-4f631a10b73c /mnt/guix/      ext4    defaults
  0       2
/mnt/guix/var/guix    /var/guix           none            defaults,bind
  0       0
/mnt/guix/gnu    /gnu                     none            defaults,bind
  0       0

Then /home/ is shared (and luks encrypted) on both distros.  It works
fine.

If you want to do "same profile and store across all things" Ricardo
Wurmus does some wild things using NFS.