Re: [Help-gsl] Lambda functions, member functions, and C++

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Lambda functions, member functions, and C++
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:33:24 -0500

Andrew W. Steiner wrote:
Hello all,

     Does anyone know if the lambda function support in
gcc 4.5 and later might allow one to create a lambda function
from a member function in C++ and then pass that lambda
function as a C-style to a GSL function pointer? One of the
reasons I originally created my C++ library, O2scl [1],
based in part on GSL, was because it was very difficult
to use GSL with member functions [2]. However, I was
wondering if the new lambda function support in gcc might
alleviate that problem.

Take care,
Andrew

Hi Andrew:

I haven't kept up with recent C++ changes.  But, it seems to
me it's a bad idea to require a specific feature like that.
Then, you may be stuck if you are not using GCC 4.5 or
a similarly advanced C++ compiler.  This kind of thing
comes up all the time with C++ libraries like Boost, etc.
And, it is very annoying because there may be a very good
reason that you are using an older C++ compiler; usually
because upgrading is not convenient without upgrading
your OS or something like that.

Beyond that, this is the first time that I carefully looked
at O2scl.  And, it looks pretty well done!  I'd encourage
anybody who is still limping along with one of the GSLwrap
variants to abandon it in favor of O2scl (and that goes for
me included).

Rodney