Re: Re : [Help-gsl] gsl-1.14 build Mac OS X Leopard universal binaries

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: Re : [Help-gsl] gsl-1.14 build Mac OS X Leopard universal binaries
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:21:48 -0400

Hi Eric,

Eric Voirin wrote:
Hi Peter,
It works like a charm...
So, to build a 32-bit library universal binary for Mac OS X 10.5
The correct configure command can be :

export CC=gcc
export CFLAGS='-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
-mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -arch i386 -arch ppc'
export LDFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc'
cd gsl-1.14
./configure --prefix=/opt/gsl/gsl-1.14-Leopard --disable-shared
--disable-dependency-tracking

The recommended way is to set the flags at configure commandline. Could you please try if the following also works:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gsl/gsl-1.14-Leopard --disable-shared CC=gcc
CFLAGS='-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5
-arch i386 -arch ppc' LDFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc'

Perhaps this can be updated in INSTALL file of GSL next release tarfile, or in
GSL faq
The INSTALL file comes from autoconf, so if any changes are needed we should probably report it upstream. IIUC, there is some code in automake to detect multi arch builds in order to turn off dependency tracking automagically. I'm not sure, however, whether you need to give *FLAGS at configure commandline or if the detection is supposed to work also when taken from the environment. Therefore, it would be useful to know if the configure call I described above works for you, or not.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Peter Johansson