Re: [Help-gsl] Inverse error functions?

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Inverse error functions?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:42:45 +0100

At Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:13:27 -0800,
Frank Chu wrote:
> It seems like there are error functions in GSL (gsl_sf_erf,
> gsl_sf_erfc), but their inverse do not exist.  Is this omission
> deliberate and there is an easy way of computing the inverses that
> I'm missing?  Or are they not worth it to add?  Would someone
> consider a change to add inverses to either or both of these
> functions?  Boost's special functions library has them, for example.

The equivalent inverses are available (up to constant factors) via the
cumulative distribution functions like gsl_cdf_gaussian_Pinv, etc for
the gaussian distribution.  I believe there's an open ticket on the
bug tracker to move the implementation into the specfunc module and
make it directly available as gsl_sf_erfinv.

--
Brian Gough

GNU Scientific Library -
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/