Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Help with porting GSL to CUDA

From: James Bergstra
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Help with porting GSL to CUDA
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:00:59 -0400

Are you sure to have thought through whether it is a good idea to port
GSL to the CUDA platform?  To me it sounds like a bad idea for two
main reasons:

1) GSL's data types are not opaque, so you can't very well "hide" the
fact that data lives on a GPU.  Anyone who tries to access his vector
or matrix data in the conventional ways will cause a segfault.

2) None of the blas, linear algebra, or minimization routines (the
ones that use the matrix and vector) will work without heavy
modification.  Good use of the GPU will require rewriting (and
rethinking) every function.

Maybe you should think of your port as a new library, inspired by the
GSL.  Are you sure that library would come out looking sufficiently
different from cuBLAS, cuFFT, and many others that are being developed
for the GPU?

James