[Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:05:27 -0500

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermos wrote:
If you're still interested, I may be interested too in writing a C++
wrapper for the GSL or in taking up maintenance of one of the existing
ones. I ended up writing my own wrappers anyways for most of the
linear algebra routines, and although a chore, wasn't particularly
difficult.

- Jordi G. H.

Hi Jordi:

I'd love to see this code posted somewhere, perhaps as a GSL add-on. But, I'm surprised that you say it is not difficult. Having worked on matrices/linear algebra/etc. in C++ for many of the last 20 years, I would say that it is difficult. Part of the difficulty comes from the mathematics itself which GSL handles well so we can set it aside. But, the other difficult part comes from designing/creating a practical OO interface which is time-consuming. This latter part is challenging due to C++ syntax/semantics which can create hard-to-find bugs. I don't doubt that you know all of this, but in my experience, creating a test-bed is the most important part of the endeavor. Sadly, none of the C++ implementations that I have worked on (or got to work) have done this well.

Rodney