RE: [Help-gsl] Random number generation

From: Abbas Alhakim
Subject: RE: [Help-gsl] Random number generation
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 15:39:16 -0400

Hi,

Here I don't see why you want to change the seed:

It seems to me that each iteration of your "loop?" will generate 600
Gaussians and, if you don't do anything but call the RNG, this will
produce distinct variables. Verify this by writing the first number out
of each 600 numbers and comparing them!

In other words, if you don't change the seeds you are guaranteed that
all the random nums are distinct. Putting different seeds randomly
however (such as when using the time) there is a (slight) chance that
you generate the same numbers.

Abbas