Re: [Help-gsl] Complex vectors

From: Dimitris Papavasiliou
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Complex vectors
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:50:34 +0300

Cory Burkhardt wrote:
I am attempting to perform FFT operations on complex vectors.  In the FFT
section of the documentation, it makes a comment about using a
gsl_complex_vector type, but this type is not described anywhere in the
documentation.  In the section on Vectors, the gsl_vector's stride member is
described, but nowhere does it describe how to modify the size and stride
members.  If I want to create a complex vector with 5 complex numbers, would
I create a gsl_vector of size 10 and manually modify the stride to be 2?
Hello,

well I'm not very familiar with GSL either but in the manual there's a whole section on complex numbers and a data structure as well, namely gsl_complex. Also to create a complex vector you would, I suppose, use:

gsl_vector_complex *gsl_vector_complex_alloc (const size_t n);

and generally append '_complex_' to all the vector functions in the manual like:

void gsl_vector_complex_set (gsl_vector_complex * v, const size_t i, gsl_complex z);

AFAICT strides etc. come up mostly when creating vectors from existing data, like creating a vector from the even elements of another. There are functions for this kind of thing too, check out vector views etc.

Dimitris P.